We at The Castle Hotel are a very Dog friendly establishment. With fantastic walking countryside right from the front door we understand that Bishops Castle is just as much fun for Dogs as it is their owners. Hotels that welcome pets are good news for dog lovers – no-one likes kennelling their pet. Shropshire is such a quiet and rural county that we think it is ideal for pets and their owners, so The Castle Hotel in Bishops Castle has been a pet friendly hotel for many years, and pets stay free of charge.
When booking a room just let us know that you are bringing your dogs with you and we will make sure they are made to feel just as welcome as yourselves. We provide a Dog Welcome Box in the room for your pet which includes a feeding mat, food bowl, drying towel, lead, treats and poo bags.
You are more than welcome to have your dog with you at the table for Breakfast, Lunch & Evening Dinner in our bar areas, just let us know on booking and we will make sure we assign you a Dog Friendly table throughout your stay.
We are awarded Pet Friendly Accommodation status by Shropshire Tourism.
If you have any questions relating to your pet please don’t hesitate to give us a call on 01588638403.
We try to have as few rules as possible for our doggy guests, but as a courtesy to other humans we do have requests and other useful information :
Pets are allowed in the garden, but please clean up any mess left behind. Waste bags are available from behind reception. Please note that there is a small but deep pond in the garden which pets are not allowed in.
Pet feeding trays & food & water bowls are available, please ask at reception. Refrigerated space is available for storage of pet food. There is a dedicated bin for pet waste, please ask at reception for details.
Pet leads, specific pet towels and torches/nightlights are also available upon request.
A variety of walks suitable for pets starting from the hotel front door are available in front of reception along with information on pet friendly attractions. Please ask a member off staff to recommend pet friendly walks.
We allow well behaved pets to sit with their owners throughout the day including meal service in our large “back” bar. Unfortunately pets are not allowed in the dining/breakfast room. You may eat breakfast with your pet in our bar area upon request the night before.
All up to date weather information is printed on the “breakfast” sheets which are provided every morning, and long distance weather forecast can be found at www.ukweather.com.
The nearest vet is based in Bishops Castle on the industrial estate at the bottom of the hill.
Allwood & Jones
Crowgate Veterinary Surgery
Bishops Castle Business Park
Opening times: 9am -5pm Monday to Friday
The nearest tourist information point is based at Bishops Castle Visitor Information Centre at Bishop’s Castle Town Hall, Castle High Street about 50m down the hill on the right hand side. www.bishopscastletownhall.co.uk Telephone: 01588 630023. Open 10am – 4pm, Monday to Saturday.
OS Maps, bus timetable, taxi numbers, leaflets and other useful information is provided at the information point in front of reception, along with their policies regarding pets.
The nearest bank and ATM cash machine is 100m down the main high street on the left hand side at HSBC Bank, and the tourist information office is located opposite the bank.
Bishop’s Castle Medical Practice
Appointments: 01588 630100
General Enquiries: 01588 638285
Finnigan & Kneale Butler
2 Market Sq,
Tel: 01588 638581
Bishops Castle Community Hospital
Tel: 01588 638220
1. We stayed here with our walking group for 3 nights, we eat at the hotel for 2 of those nights. The food was delicious, lots of choice served by friendly staff. Nothing was too much trouble for our hosts Henry and Rebecca, a special mention for Millie, only little but so cute. The hotel is old and full of character, rooms are comfortable and clean. The area is so beautiful; we wish we could have stayed longer. We will be back.
2. Stunning location, luxurious rooms with excellent amenities. Warm welcome from friendly staff and Millie! Gorgeous food and perfect little village with interesting shops. Wish we could have stayed longer!
3. We enjoyed our stay very much and the evening meals were gorgeous too. A range of local draft beers added to the atmosphere that was very much about England and its border at its best. The room was spacious and comfortable and we had a warm welcome and a friendly goodbye. I would recommend the Castle hotel to anyone who fancies a bit of luxury at a reasonable price but wants their accommodation to be small and personal. Millie the resident pooch added to the wonders of this place and our Border terrier was made welcome as well.
4. Only had a 2 night stay, but wished could have stayed longer! Could not fault any bit of the hotel, room, staff, food, area………even Penny (our Dog) found it relaxing! Highly recommended to friends and family. Will return for a longer stay soon.
5. Hi readers this is a great hotel food amazing great ,myself and 5 other members of my family had 3 rooms which was of very high standard indeed, I’ve paid more for rooms before in other hotels but value of these rooms we had in my experience are fabulous value ,go on give them a try .there is a super relaxed atmosphere in this hotel staff are all very polite courteous and a joy to speak with they are a credit to this hotel ,a truly wonderful time spent here thanks to everyone who looked after us oh and they are pet friendly hotel they have a super little dog called Milly who our little dog loved.
6. We’ve just enjoyed a short break at the Castle Hotel and we could not find fault with anything. Our room was spacious and comfortable, the food was delicious with a great choice and all of the staff were helpful and friendly. The breakfasts were very generous, more than enough to set you up for a day walking and the evening meals were very good value for money. Our dogs were also made welcome, we ate breakfast and dinner in the bar where dogs are allowed and they were always offered a bowl of water. The location is also perfect for exploring the beautiful Shropshire countryside.
7. We and our dog stayed 3 nights, and would not change a thing. The room was great, food superb and the hospitality was second to none. Lovely to find a genuinely dog friendly hotel in such a beautiful part of the country. We will definitely be booking again in the future.
8. We were given a voucher for Great Little Places in Wales and this was one of the few Hotels that not only welcomed dogs but did not charge for them either. An old Hotel that had been refurbished but still retained its character with wood panelling and beams, we found it very comfortable although staying during a heat wave meant that the room, under the roof, was very hot. We had spectacular views over the town from our window at the front of the hotel, while at the back there were gardens with plenty of seats for eating al fresco if you so wished. Food was very good, especially the fish dishes and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. It is a good location for walking in the beautiful countryside of the borders and near many attractive towns such as Montgomery, Clun, Church Stretton etc. Dogs were welcome at meal times in designated areas so they never had to be left on their own, which was great. The Castle Hotel has such a warm and friendly atmosphere that I would not hesitate in recommending it to people who like a place with charm. For those who prefer a new, contemporary hotel, this probably is not for you.
9. Once again our stay at Bishops Castle was excellent. The room was spotless and the staff really friendly and helpful. The food was perfect, it was one of the reasons we returned. Would recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of going there. Spent a lovely afternoon in the hotel garden enjoying the views of the area. Will definitely be returning with our dog Gene who was welcomed by Milly the owners pet.
10. We stayed at this hotel in the heat wave last year and enjoyed it so much we went back this year just after the snow. It is a real jewel and we had an equally good stay this time, The dogs loved it especially romping in the snow on our walks. The food was excellent and it was difficult choosing as there were so many tasty things to pick from. Wish we could have stayed longer. Lovely comfy beds too. Room Tip: All rooms look as good as each other, we had a peek in one of the new ones, gorgeous!
11. A most enjoyable stay was had at The Castle Hotel. We had a one night stay, taking advantage of the discounted mid week tariff. The room was spotlessly clean and furnished to a high standard. Staff were attentive and very friendly, leaving you alone at all the right times but always being there when you needed them. Food was top notch too..! Very big portions, so much so we couldn’t eat our breakfast the next morning! Very dog friendly place as well, we took both of our dogs and they were made as welcome as we were. We will be returning.
12. The location cannot be beaten Bishops Castle is a beautiful country town in the English – Welsh border country. My wife and I agree the hotel is the best we have ever stayed in – and we have stayed in many hotels around the world. The location is perfect you walk out the front of the hotel into a beautiful market town whilst the back leads onto a large delightful garden. The views over the town are wonderful, from our room and the beer garden. Breakfast and evening meal were great – especially nice was the fresh condiments instead of the small packages that are so often used. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The service included a daily printout of the weather, helpful guides, leaflets and maps. So many nice touches that I cannot remember them all. The hotel itself is a lovely quirky old building but the room furnishings and bed are good quality and comfortable. Very importantly the en-suite looked new and the shower was great. Free Wi Fi. Lastly, but certainly not least – it is the most walker and dog friendly accommodation we have ever stayed in. Dogs actively welcomed (and not just tolerated as in so many hotels).
13. We were delighted by the genuine welcome we all got at The Castle, having often been disappointed by the grudging tolerance at some so-called pet-friendly hotels. Things got even better when we were shown to our room, which was large, clean and appeared to have been very recently and tastefully refurbished. There was a nice, modern bathroom with shower, supplemented by a large, free-standing bath in the bedroom – which made for an interesting evening (beats TV!). We were also located with easy access to the large, private residents’ garden (well-provided with dog bowls). The food was very good, served in the cosy bar where our dog was once again welcome. Bishops Castle is a small, quirky place and The Castle is nicely located at the top of the High St, with easy access to the shops, the Shropshire Hills and the Welsh borders. We had a very nice, relaxing stay and would certainly book The Castle again if we were in the area.
14. We stayed with our two dogs and all four of us absolutely loved our stay. Our room was gorgeous Thoroughly recommend this hotel if you want to enjoy long walks in the stunning countryside, good food and service and pleasant surroundings.
15. Everything about the hotel was excellent. The attention to detail from the staff could not be faulted and was matched by the very willing attitude. Our dog was made as much part of the holiday as we were and it was lovely that he could be with us at meal times. The views were superb as was the location. We learnt a great deal from the daily newsletter awaiting our arrival at breakfast. We considered our bed and breakfast tariff to be excellent given the amazing quality of our room (number 5). Only wished it was closer to our home so we could visit more often.
16. A top place to stay if you have a four legged walking buddy in tow. Really friendly staff, great food, good beer, lovely gardens and even dog biscuits in the bar so you are all happy. We were given good suggestions of where to walk and even proper maps of the area to get you right out into the countryside. You get a sheet of news in the morning with the weather forecast and suggestions of what you can do. The dog was upset there was no sausage factory to visit but a walk up the Long Mynd cured the disappointment. Loved it. They even lent us a torch in case the dog need to get out in the night!
17. We wondered why this hotel got such good reviews and now that we have stayed there, we are not surprised! Lovely hotel, our room (4) was large, spotless, comfortable and with outstanding views of the town and surrounding countryside. The hotel is excellently run with charming, efficient staff, and the food – we had both evening meal and breakfast is delicious. Another plus point is that dogs are allowed, and ours had a great time exploring the beautiful gardens. We would recommend this hotel 100%
18. We needed a base for a few days walking on Offas Dyke and the position was perfect. We didn’t expect much – the usual small hotel. What a surprise. The food was really good, the staff were top notch and we really enjoyed our stay. Our little dog was made very welcome and allowed to be with us for dinner and breakfast, but if you wanted to eat in really smart surroundings in a panelled dining room, the dog can stay in the room
Afternoon tea in the garden was delightful. We really recommend this hotel.
19. I had such a nice stay with my choc lab. All the staff are so friendly and attentive without being intrusive. I had my wine served to me on the terrace as I couldn’t cope with wine and the dog at the same time! The food is tasty and there is a good selection of wines. The room was bright and comfortable with a lovely view across the town to the hills beyond. The local sites and walks are good too. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a short break or longer. Thank you all for a lovely holiday.
20. A proper dog friendly hotel! Made me and my dog Charlie feel so welcome. Excellent room, delicious evening meal and breakfast, dog biscuits in the bar, great suggestions of dog walking areas nearby. A really lovely hotel that we will be returning to very soon.